Friday, January 27, 2012

The sound of the waves collide












Thanks (c) Miko Calayan for the pictures!
PhotoManipulation by yours truly. ;)


HANG LOOSE! ;)
This was last year, but since I haven't started blogging, I've still decided to post it to share the whole experience.

This was the first time I tried this "extreme" sport, Surfing. Well, I've been looking forward to this day my whole life so here it goes. I was with some friends who were already familiar with surfing so since it was my first time, I got really overwhelmed-nervous-almost chickened out when we got there. I mean of course, initial reaction is that I might drown because of the strong waves. Actually, when I asked permission for this, my mother was really shocked that I would try this out and thank God, she did allow me. I've been always pushing myself beyond my limits and always believing in myself that if others can do it, I can do better. (well, that's the spirit) You always have to think positive and think that you can do it. So there, that's why even though I was so afraid and really overwhelmed by everyone who knows this sport, I still made it. 

Before the action begins, you really had to go through the long and hard way to get into the ocean, that's the best yet the worst part especially after the session-surfing. You had to bring your own board from the spot where you rest and leave your stuff, then cross or you can swim through the river then carry again the board, then long walk, then get to the shore where the first timers really surf. Whew! Sounds fun right and the best part is you burn some calories already! (HEHE) Then, there's a 1 hour lesson before hitting the waves. Of course, this applies to first timers. I really liked that the instructors were very patient and clear with the directions, told us about do's and dont's and all that stuff you REALLY had to know about surfing.

Then off we go.

First time ever, I really had a hard time, I mean, come on, if you are blessed to have big breasts, oh man, the paddle position on the surf board will always be the worst position (haha), or should I say awkward, but then again, it's all in the mind so carry on and paddle. But don't worry, first timers, there's an instructor who would push you and tell you when to stand up. ;) My "coach", Francis was really patient with me. To tell you honestly, I had a hard time standing up the first time, tried kneeling first, then when I stood up, lost balance, then try again. But who cares, it's just the start, gotta practice more.

After this experience, before I was really scared of the waves whenever I go to the beach but after Surfing, I was now anticipating for waves and stronger, bigger, longer ones. It was the best feeling standing up on the board and yes doing the hand gesture (\m__m/) while standing up. Hang Loose !

On our way home was the best part too of this day trip adventure, we ate dinner in Mercato Centrale, Fort and we tried Jamba Juice for the first time. YUMMY. Tried the Strawberry Surfer Ride, it's the best strawberry lemonade, perfect after surfing/beach trip. :)











Second time, we brought some of our friends too who wanted to try surfing, yay, the more the better! So, same process for the first timers, this time, we owned the island, yeah, literally. We were the only ones who went to the island to surf, SO FUN. The waves were perfect during morning, I had so much fun, stood up with the right position on the surf board, extra effort already because of paddling. Mind you, you have to be strong enough not to get tired of paddling or else, you won't catch the perfect wave and won't be able to surf the proper way. 

Then during the afternoon, there were strong waves, then at times the ocean behaved too. So you just got to wait for the waves, we bonded while sitting and in paddle position on the board, then if there's a strong or nice wave coming, we all reminded each other and "instructed" ourselves (HAHA), then there was this time, wherein, we were able to stand altogether with our surf boards, I wish we had a picture of it, that would be a pretty awesome shot!!! Then of course, I got tired and took a nap on the board while waiting for my friends who were still eager to wait for waves that afternoon.

The best part of it all when going back to the turf was swimming in the river, because it was so cold and relaxing, even if you're so tired, it's like you're in a spa or something like that. SO MUCH FUN. I love the experience. The best!

For those of you who are interested and curious about Surfing, stop being curious and try colliding with the waves. ;) Check the Philippine Surfing Academy http://www.facebook.com/philippinesurfingacademy. *They lend rash guards also* More fun in the Philippines!


I found this quote very, very, VERY inspirational as of the moment, I hope ya'll will feel the same way too, "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around". :)

P.S. I got the album title from the Deftones' song, Sextape. Yes, I get my titles to my favorite songs.



“In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

No comments:

Post a Comment